Follow our family's weekly vegetarian menu, access recipes, and download weekly grocery lists, during my quest to get our weekly grocery bill down to $70 per week, while supporting local agriculture and eating healthy organic foods!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Feb 1-7

This weeks menu is predominately recipes from websites. Since you have access to all the recipes, I decided to post the shopping list for you. Click here to get the grocery list for this week. Our groceries this week were $80. The lintels and cottage cheese are used to make our dog's food. If that is something you are interested in, it saves money, and you know your dog is eating humane quality food without deadly fungi in it. I use recipes from Dr. Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. If you are not interested, you may want to remove those items from the list. I also decided not to get the agave nectar. It is quite expensive and you can use 3x the sugar in any recipe calling for agave nectar. Yes, agave nectar is the healthier alternative, and it has a lower glycemic index, but I decided I would rather spend $3.60 to get my daughter some goat milk. 

Monday:Spicy Peanut Noodles and Tofu

~This was amazing! This recipe did not call for tofu. I doubled the peanut sauce recipe, and poured it over drained tofu slices and baked it at 450 degrees for 20 mins. I don't think the meal would have been complete without it! 

Tuesday:Slow Cooker Vitamin A Blast Black Bean Chili


~ This Chili was delicious! My husband said he thinks it was his favorite soup I have made. Try it! 

Wednesday: Peruvian Baked Quinoa and Cheese with a side of Lightly Sauted Kale
-Recipe from VegetarianTimes.com

~Leek, green pepper, red pepper, garlic. This combination seems like a fail safe for a delicious and full flavored meal. Strangely, this dish was extremely bland. While we decided that we would not mind eating it again, I just can't see using two semi-expensive ingredients (quinoa and leek) if the dish is not amazing. So, we will not behaving this one again. 

Thursday: Slow Cooker Apple and Split Pea Soup
-Recipe from healthyslowcooking.com 


~I love the introduction to this recipe on the blog. It has been miserably rainy here for a week. It was a good rainy day soup. My husband said it was a little too French for his taste. So unfortunately we won't be having it again.

Friday: Pesto and Goat Cheese Pizza
        Pizza Crust*
        1/2 cup pesto
        1 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
        1/2 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
        1/2 cup pine nuts
        4 oz chevre goat cheese
        3/4 - 1 cup mozzarella cheese

        
1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped (optional)

 Preheat over to 400 degrees. Pat out dough out on a greased pizza pan and spread pesto over dough leaving 1/4 inch crust. Sprinkle toppings evenly over pizza, putting cheeses on last. Bake for 20 mins. 

*I make my pizza crust with a bread maker using this recipe. I also divide the dough in half to make two thin crust pizzas. I vacuum seal one and freeze if for future use.

Saturday:  Ancho Coffee Red Bean Chili 
-Recipe from Veggiemealplans.com 

Sunday: Black Bean Enchiladas with Warm Salsa Verde
-Recipe from www.vegetariantimes.com

~I was worried about this one while I was making it. The tomatillos have such an odd scent. But the finished product was wonderful! I did make a few changes though. My husband does not like the taste of cumin, so I used chipotle powder instead.

Breakfast: Chai Oatmeal
-Recipe from vegweb.com

~This recipe was decent, but not spectacular. I was a little disappointed just because I love a good chai. It seems like with chai you have to find some bad one's before you find the one! I think I will probably look for a good chai recipe and then adapt it to an oatmeal recipe. 



1 comment:

  1. That split pea and apple soup sounds amazing. I have never had split pea soup but if you put an apple in something I will probably eat it. Is it a recipe you have tried before? Let me know how it goes and what you guys think of it.

    I am disappointed in the chai oatmeal. It's because of you that I like chai, you know, so I will def take your word on it not being very good. Sad day!

    ReplyDelete